Outer Wear Series #4 - Very Formal Affair...

I know I'm a day last and a dollar short.. I was suppose to have this done by last Friday. I didn't want to rush it.. I wanted it to be done the right way and if that means me being a little late. Then so be it..
Without in further adieu...
Here she is.................. Ms. America!!!
I love her so much, the collar is so modern but the bottom is soo Vintage..I've always wanted a coat I can twirl in.. She was inspired by Dita Von Tease. I'm in a couple of Sewing Facebook Groups I was inspired by a beautiful vintage outfit from my fellow Sew Sista, Kimberly Clark..
She made a beautiful vintage inspired jacket that I went crazy for and had my mind just a turning.. 

I actually out 2 patterns together to get the look.
 I improvised..

I have a secret to can you tell..
I want you too really look at it and tell me what it is.



View of Brooch
I didn't want buttons so I used this instead..


It's a beautiful Balloon Brooch, I've had it for years and years..
It was given to me by a beautiful Asian lady, when I worked at the Veterans Hospital.
She loved how I treated her and her husband..
I was honored..



My inspiration pieces..
1960's Vintage Coats


The top of my coat is Butterick 5685 and I traced a circle skirt to form the bottom..
 Both top and bottom are fully lined in a beautiful purple fabric..
I purchased the fabric from Wally World.
Fabric was $1.50 per yard and Lining was $1.30 per yard..
For a grand total of, $10.40, well not including my blood, sweat and tears..

Butterick 5685

I cut out a size 16 because I'm very top heavy. I always say, cut big just in case you have to take in and I did. You already know how I feel about cutting fabric..
I HATE IT!!



Picture of the circle skirt cut out..
Did you get it, yet?


Putting the Bodice together.. 


Back Bodice, the left is pulling a little.


Connected front and back bodice.. 


Connected collar to bodice..


Inside of bodice without lining..


Neckline of Collar




Installed pocket in Circle skirt..


Picture of lining.. 
Did you guess the secret, yet?



I connected the arms first to both lining and coat, it was easier to do it that way. It just didn't make any sense follow the patterns directions.. 



I cannot lie.. I ripped off the shoulder pads from one of my older jackets that I purchased from good will.. 




Jacket without lining but shoulder pads, she's looking good.. 


Closer view with shoulder pad.. 


Bottom circle coat fully lined.. 
Did you guess it?


Picture of neck and top of coat..


Armhole of coat with lining..


I connected the top and bottom pieces together.  
I took alot of picture but they didn't come out right.. 
She came out soo nice.. 



OK! OK! 
My big secret is that it's upholstery fabric.. Alot of you were asking what material did I use. I wanted it to be a "SURPRISE" and to show you that if you put you mind to it. You can make just about any fabric come to life.. The fabric is really soft and not sift at all. It was very easy to work with as you can see, she transformed into a beautiful Vintage Starlet..

I hope you like her as much as I do..

Until Next Time..
SEW IT CHIC..  





















Comments

Popular Posts